Poverty Sunday is a national initiative encouraging local churches and community groups to reflect, raise funds and respond to issues of poverty affecting communities in England.
We are inviting you to take part in a Poverty Sunday Service followed by a Frugal Lunch on Sunday 21st June, or a day or time that suits you. The Frugal Lunch is a great way to encourage people to share, identify and pray together about issues affecting deprived local communities. It is also a way to encourage and motivate others in your community to respond in a practical way to the issues of poverty in England by donating the cost of their normal Sunday lunch to the work of the Together Network and Church Urban Fund.
The programme of activities and resources is available to download for free on the website and include:
- Church Resources: we have produced sermon notes, worship reflections and prayers.
- Frugal Lunch Resources: Poverty Sunday placemat and poster
- Video Resources: Mel’s animation story, explaining the work of the Together Network and CUF, and Dave’s story of healing through a church project in Southwark Diocese
- General CUF Presentation: briefly outlining the work of CUF and the Together Network
- Children’s Resources: Placemat for Frugal lunch (to come) and KS1,2,3 Lesson Plans, Youth Group Session and Form Reflections that concentrate on explaining the Web of Poverty to different age groups.